By Karen Hendricks
Welcome to “Gettysburg Social!” This column examines the latest social media trends, while highlighting Gettysburg and Adams County businesses. This article was first published in Celebrate Gettysburg magazine, Jan/Feb 2014.
Every second, two new members join LinkedIn, the social media network with a professional twist. LinkedIn is 10 years old, and while it has a solid foundation, it’s still growing and adding new features that make it easier to “do business” via social media.
Adams County’s professionals are well-represented on LinkedIn; if you enter the search term “Gettysburg,” more than 16,000 profiles pop up. One reason is that many Gettysburg College students have LinkedIn profiles. Actually, students and recent graduates are LinkedIn’s fastest-growing demographic. As of the school year ending May 2012, more than 20 million students and recent grads have developed “online résumés”—another way to approach LinkedIn profiles.
But LinkedIn profiles aren’t limited to those launching their careers; well-established professionals from all job sectors imaginable are represented, including executives from all of 2012’s Fortune 500 companies. There are 225 million LinkedIn users worldwide.
Creating a profile allows you to… connect to past and present co-workers, ask for their recommendations, list your skills and accomplishments, promote your job search, or scan online employment postings. It’s online networking at its best.
About two years ago, LinkedIn began offering businesses and nonprofits the ability to create company pages—mini websites within LinkedIn where companies can showcase news, products, services or job openings. Many small businesses and nonprofits have yet to take advantage of this free marketing tool. When searching under the term “Gettysburg,” only 88 company pages display on LinkedIn. Here are a few adding LinkedIn luster to their online presence:
- Health: Hanover Hospital, WellSpan Health, Samuels Dental Arts
- Tourism: Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership, Gettysburg Seminary Ridge Museum
- Nonprofit: Adams Electric Cooperative
- Education: Gettysburg College and HACC
Simply click on the links above to explore the LinkedIn company pages. And if you haven’t already, consider creating a company page to showcase your business today!
Also… a warm invitation to attend my upcoming Social Media 101 for Business workshop, a 2-part series:
- Overview: Learn about valuable–but free–social media channels and select the “best fits” for your business.
- Feedback from past attendees: “Extremely helpful, practical information. It is a pleasure to work with Karen and I cannot thank her enough… she is a true treasure.”
- Dates: Wednesday evenings, February 5 & 12 from 7-9 pm
- Location: Adams County Arts Council, 125 S Washington St, Gettysburg PA 17325
- To enroll: Click to enroll online or call 717-334-5006